The Top 30 eDiscovery Blogs You Should be Reading
With all that’s going on in the world of eDiscovery software, it can be daunting to stay abreast of the latest legal industry news, the newest offerings, eDiscovery trends, and the most recent updates. As eDiscovery professionals, it can be difficult to know where to turn to get a quick overview of a topic, and where to find in-depth analyses.
To make your day a bit easier, here is a list of the top 30 eDiscovery blogs and similar sites you should be reading (in addition to Reveal's blog, of course). There are many options one could choose from – more than I ever could list. The ones I’ve included here are on my regular reading list.
The thirty blogs and similar sites are arranged in five categories: associations (3), individuals (8), law firms (15), providers, and media (4).
I have not ranked listings. Rather, in each category the entries are displayed in ascending alphabetical order. For each listing, I have included some combination of the blog or site name with link; an author name where appropriate; a description from the blog or site about itself (italicized) or that I prepared; and sample posts.
While there is no official industry association for eDiscovery, there are several quasi-industry associations that focus on the discipline and of them, a few with blogs covering the topic.
The ACEDS Blog is a platform for e-discovery resources and educational content. Weekly posts shine light on new ideas and people in our e-discovery community, advancing the practice of authors and readers.
- Examples: "Six Challenges of eDiscovery Practice: Crowdsourced Insights from Women in eDiscovery" "Kangaroo Court: AI Deployment Needs a Smokey the Bear".
Posts in 17 categories including Blog Articles, Events, In the News, Partner News, Podcasts, and Recent News from regular authors including Cat Casey, Darius Bennett, Mary Mack, and 19 others.
- Examples: "EDRM Unveils New IGRM Diagram v4.0 for Public Comment" and "EDRM Standouts Earn Chambers Rankings".
Posts by ILTA members on all matter of topics relating to technology and the law.
- Examples: "Here’s What Else You Can Do With Machine Learning" and "How Law Firms Can Proactively Reduce eDiscovery Risk & Cost".
There are many blogs maintained by individuals in the eDiscovery space. Here is a selection of blogs from the most prolific and most insightful of those commentators.
Artificial Lawyer (Richard Tromans)
Artificial Lawyer is all about changing the business of law, often through the use of technology, but also through the better deployment of people inside organisations and within new business structures, as well as innovation around process improvement.
- Examples: "How Do You Calculate the ROI of Legal Tech?" and "American Lawyer Media Owner Buys Integreon".
Ball in your Court (Craig Ball)
"Craig Ball of New Orleans and Austin is a Texas trial lawyer, computer forensic examiner, law professor and noted authority on electronic evidence. He limits his practice to serving as a court-appointed special master and consultant in computer forensics and electronic discovery and has served as the Special Master or testifying expert in computer forensics and electronic discovery in some of the most challenging and celebrated cases in the U.S. A founder of the Georgetown University Law Center E-Discovery Training Academy, Craig serves on the Academy’s faculty and teaches Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence at the University of Texas School of Law and at Tulane University School of Law. For nine years, Craig penned the award-winning Ball in Your Court column on electronic discovery for American Lawyer Media and now writes for several national news outlets. For his articles on electronic discovery and computer forensics, please visit www.craigball.com or his blog, www.ballinyourcourt.com."
ComplexDiscovery (Rob Robinson)
"ComplexDiscovery is an online publication that highlights data and legal discovery insight and intelligence ranging from original research to aggregated news for use by business, information technology, and legal professionals. The highly targeted publication seeks to increase the collective understanding of readers regarding cyber, data, and legal discovery information and issues and to provide an objective resource for considering trends, technologies, and services related to electronically stored information."
- Examples: "eDiscovery Leaders of the Pack? The 2021 Chambers Litigation Support Guide" and "No Shade in Sight? Summer 2021 eDiscovery Business Confidence Survey".
eDisclosure Information Project (Chris Dale)
"A blog by Chris Dale of the UK-based eDisclosure Information Project, with commentary about the rules, the technology and the practice of eDiscovery / eDisclosure in the UK, the US and any jurisdiction where the discovery of electronic documents is required for civil litigation or for regulatory purposes."
- Examples: "Andrew Haslam’s eDisclosure Systems Buyers Guide 2021" and "Farewell to Robert Childress, the eDiscovery events organiser who knew everybody".
eDiscovery Assistant Blog (Kelly Twigger)
"Our blog is curated to provide thought leadership, case law updates, and ediscovery best practices for everyone from in-house counsel, to sole practitioners, to the top law firms, and legal service providers."
- Examples: "#CaseoftheWeek Episode 29: Why Form of Production is Key and When to Ask For It" and "ESI Protocols Part VI: Why You Need Metadata in Your Life".
eDiscoveryToday (Doug Austin)
"Authored and edited by industry expert Doug Austin, eDiscovery Today is the daily go-to resource for eDiscovery and eDisclosure professionals seeking to keep up with trends, best practices and case law in electronic discovery, cybersecurity and data privacy."
- Examples: "NIST Publishes New Study, Establishes Model for Trust and Artificial Intelligence" and "Ten Notable Quotes from Judges in Cases About Discovery: eDiscovery".
LawSites (Bob Ambrogi)
"I am a lawyer and legal journalist who has been writing and speaking about legal technology, legal practice and legal ethics for more than two decades. I have been writing this blog since 2002. I also host LawNext, the podcast that features the innovators and entrepreneurs who are driving what’s next in law, and write a column on legal technology for Above the Law."
- Examples: "Pandemic Accelerated Tech’s Importance, But Firms Remain Poorly Prepared for Tech Future, Survey Says" and "Live at 3 ET: Legaltech Journalists’ Roundtable – Here Are Some of Today’s Topics".
Maas Consulting Group's BONG! (Jonathan Maas)
"This is the home of the BONG! Jonathan regularly used to send out a popular daily email alert to subscribers, containing brief snippets of interesting and current discovery, GDPR, legal technology and other news."
Law Firms and eDiscovery Providers
At times its seems that every eDiscovery provider and every major law firm maintains a blog. Listed below are blogs that regularly rise to the top of the "best of" lists.
BIA (Business Intelligence Advisors) Blog
Posts relating to various eDiscovery topics such as pricing models, second requests, and data collection inefficiencies.
- Examples: "The CEO’s Role in eDiscovery: Ensure, Endorse, Plan" and "The CHRO’s Role in eDiscovery: The Custodian of the Custodians".
BRG (Berkeley Research Group) Insights
Case studies, news and publications on a broad range of topics.
- Examples: "COVID-19 Heightened the Need for eDiscovery Tools. Here’s Why They’re Here to Stay." and "Digital Disclosure 101: All You Need to Know".
Posts, articles, and the like of a wide range of topics and sectors, including AI & cognitive technologies and Analytics.
- Examples: "Cross-border eDiscovery challenges" and "Five insights on technology disruption of government eDiscovery solutions".
Blogs and publications on numerous topics including eDiscovery.
- Examples: "10 tips for safeguarding privileged communications in a remote work world" and "Defensible deletion: The proof is in the planning".
The Epiq Angle brings you our thinking on topical issues in eDiscovery, bankruptcy, corporate restructuring, data breach response, global business transformation solutions, class action, and mass tort administration.
- Examples: "How to Handle Hyperlinks: Current and Future eDiscovery Practices" and "Current Trends in Legal Spend – Where do ALSPs Stand?"
EY What We Think
FTI Consulting Insights
Articles and similar content on a broad range of categories and topics including legal, eDiscovery & managed review, and forensic & litigation consulting.
- Example: "E-discovery Evolves in Response to COVID-19".
Posts. podcasts and the like covering a wide array of business functions and industries.
Lineal News & Events
Latest news, events and insights into Digital Forensics, Cyber Security and eDiscovery.
McDermott Insights & Events
Trending topics and upcoming events.
- Examples: "Intelligently Evolving Your Corporate Compliance Program" and "AI Is a Litigation Force Multiplier".
ProSearch Discover Insights
Read the latest from our thought leaders and industry experts.
- Examples: "Collaborative Data in eDiscovery: 6 Steps to Take Now" and "Mitigating Data Privacy Risks in Cross-Border Discovery".
PwC Research and Insights
Explore PwC's insights on today's biggest business challenges.
- Examples: "24th Annual Global CEO Survey - US findings" and "Five reasons why it's time to disrupt your eDiscovery model".
Posts, white papers, and the like on legal, technology, and seven other topics.
Trustpoint.One Latest News
Articles, press releases, posts.
Our latest thinking on the issues that matter most in legal transformation.
Media and Similar
Not blogs necessarily, these links are for media outlets that regularly cover issues related to eDiscovery.
Above the Law's Technology
Above the Law takes a behind-the-scenes look at the world of law. The site provides news and insights about the profession’s most colorful personalities and powerful institutions, as well as original commentary on breaking legal developments.
eLegal IT Insider's Latest News
Industry news from editor-in-chief Caroline Hill and others.
JD Supra Law News Electronic Discovery RSS Feed
Follow latest news and analysis on Electronic Discovery. Fresh updates daily via JD Supra.
Overseen by editor-in-chief Zach Warren, Legaltech News is one of many publications from Law.com.
If your organization is interested in learning more about how Reveal's AI-powered end-to-end document review platform can help you find the data that matters most, contact us to learn more.